Associate and bachelor admission requirements

To enter an associate or bachelor’s degree program, you must:

  • Have earned an acceptable high school diploma, GED® equivalent, California High School Proficiency Examination certificate or foreign secondary school equivalent. If you currently don’t meet this requirement, you can arrange to take the GED through your state’s GED administrator’s office or search for the nearest GED testing center.
  • Be at least 16 years of age at the time of application if applying to an associate degree program.
  • Meet work experience requirements or have access to an organizational environment, depending on your selected degree program, in order to successfully complete program objectives and apply concepts you learn in our courses. Please contact an Enrollment Advisor to learn if your program has such a requirement.
  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or hold an approved, valid visa if residing in the United States.
  • Not have been expelled from a previous institution.
  • Complete all required forms for admission as well as submit official test scores and official transcripts from all colleges and universities you’ve attended.

State/territory-specific requirements

In addition to meeting the requirements above, residents of:

  • Massachusetts and New Jersey must provide health insurance information.
  • Oklahoma, Hawaii, Connecticut and Tennessee must submit immunization documentation if enrolling in a campus-based program.
  • Puerto Rico must meet English Language Proficiency requirements if enrolling in a campus-based program.
  • Tennessee, Nevada and South Carolina must submit high school graduation documentation.

International applicants

Applicants without appropriate previous academic experience in an English language environment must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL®), the Test of English as an International Communication (TOEIC®), the Berlitz® Online Proficiency Test, the Pearson Test of English Academic or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS®). Please contact an Enrollment Advisor to learn more about this requirement if you are a non-native speaker of English.

Transfer credit

As part of your admission, and depending on your grades and/or scores, prior coursework from regionally accredited or nationally accredited degree-granting institutions, or the credit earned through a national testing program such as the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP®), DANTES or Advanced Placement, may be evaluated and considered for academic credit. If you have had professional training or served in the military, you may be able to convert your training into academic credits.

GED is a registered trademark of the American Council on Education.

TOEFL and TOEIC are registered trademarks of Educational Testing Service (ETS). This website is not endorsed or approved by ETS.

Berlitz is a registered trademark of Berlitz Investment Corp.

IELTS is a registered trademark of University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate on behalf of the chancellor, masters and scholars of the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom.

CLEP is a registered trademark of College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this website.

Talk to an advisor

or call us at866.766.0766

Credits from previous education

If you have college credits from another institution, or work-related training, they may convert to credits for your University of Phoenix degree. Check the links below, or contact an enrollment advisor for assistance.