This is the first core course in the Master of Science in Accounting (MSA). In this course, students apply accounting research tools to current accounting issues. Other topics include research of accounting questions related to: inventory, fixed assets, leases, derivative instruments, debt, contingencies, segment reporting, pensions, business combinations, consolidations, stockholder’s equity, and a program overview.
topic title goes here
- Identify the sources of current practice and thought in accounting.
- Explain the relationship between the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
- Use tools available to University of Phoenix graduate students.
- Identify the program objectives for the MSA.
Inventory and Fixed Assets
- Describe the current practice and thought on inventory valuation.
- Describe the current practice and thought on tangible fixed assets.
- Describe the current practice and thought on intangible assets.
- Describe the current practice and thought on allocation of fixed asset cost.
- Apply the current practice and thought on classifying leases.
- Explain the current practice and thought related to direct financing, sales type, and operating leases.
Derivative Instruments, Debt, and Contingencies
- Explain the reporting requirements for contingencies.
- Apply the theory of impairment to a debt restructuring.
- Explain the concept of fair value measurement for derivative instruments and hedging activities.
Combinations, Consolidations, and Stockholder's Equity
- Analyze accounting consolidation theory as it relates to special purpose entities (SPE).
- Evaluate accounting treatment of share-based payment.
Segment Reporting and Pensions
- Evaluate the application of operating segment reporting.
- Differentiate the reporting requirements for defined contribution, defined benefit, and other postretirement benefit plans.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.