General Biology –
Cell Structure and Function
Summarize the events in photosynthesis and cellular respiration
Explain the function of the cell membrane as it relates to transport.
- Compare prokaryotes and eukaryotes, plant and animal cells, cells and viruses.
Describe the events in the cell cycle.
Explain how traits (including genetic disorders) are passed from one generation to the next.
- Relate Mendelian genetics to chromosome theory.
- Describe the structure of DNA and its role in heredity.
- Explain how DNA controls the synthesis of proteins.
- Identify ways DNA technology is used today.
Explain the process of natural selection using Darwin’s perspective.
Explain the theory of evolution.
Explain the process of speciation.
- Identify various beneficial adaptations seen in organisms.
- Apply the lessons learned about symbiotic relationships and the environment to current issues.
Identify the major characteristics of domains, kingdoms, and phyla.
Recognize the ecological relationships among organisms within a given environment.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.