Foundations Of Business – bus210c (3 credits)
In this course, students explore the foundation of business by reviewing topics regarding the structure and culture of the modern business environment. Additional topics include the evolution of business, the role of business ethics, communication, technology, operations, leadership, and human resources. Upon completion, students are better prepared to make informed decisions regarding their educational and professional goals.
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Organizational Behavior and Culture
- Identify the characteristics of high-performing groups and teams.
- Compare and contrast different types of organizational structure.
- Explain how organizational culture can impact a business.
- Identify theories of work motivation.
Technology, Goods, and Services
- Identify standard IT applications used in business.
- Describe the typical hardware and software components of business technology.
- Examine the effects and costs of operations and material management in business.
The Big Picture
- Identify career paths within the business environment.
- Create a portfolio based on core business principles.
Introduction to Business
- Compare and contrast profit and profitability.
- Describe the impact of supply and demand on a market economy.
- Identify the main components of business.
The Changing Environment of Business
- Explain the different forms of business organization.
- Describe how business has evolved from feudalism, mercantilism, and capitalism.
Legal and Ethical Issues in Business
- Recognize the effects of ethics decisions on business.
- Compare and contrast business ethics and the law.
The Human Side of Business
- Describe the roles and behaviors of entrepreneurs, managers, and employees.
- Outline the four functions of management.
- Examine a business plan using SWOT analysis.
- Discuss the components of persuasive communication.
- Explain the types of political tactics used in business.
- Summarize the major components of the contingency theory of leadership.
Human Resource Management
- Explain the ways that Human Resource Management impacts a business.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.