Institutional And Community Corrections –
Purposes and Philosophies of Corrections
Learn the meaning of corrections.
Review philosophies of punishment.
- Understand the the role of criminal theory.
Discuss various corrections programs.
History of Punishment and Corrections
Review early history and the Age of Enlightenment.
Learn about prison reform and penitentiaries.
- Discuss the Pennsylvania and Auburn Systems.
Understand penitentiary reform in the 19th Century.
Sentencing and Criminal Sanctions
Understand sentencing decisions.
Learn sentencing strategies.
Discuss what comes after the verdict and the appeals process.
Identify special sentencing considerations for juveniles.
Jails and Detention Facilities
- Discuss the history of jails.
- Examine contemporary jails and detention facilities
Understand the issues related to jails and women.
Explore the variations in jail use.
Learn the physical plant of jails.
- Understand the administration process for jails.
Learn about jail employees.
Determine the major issues with jails and detention facilities.
Identify other local detention facilities.
View prisons as total institutions.
Discuss prisoner management and related issues.
Learn the types of functions of prisons.
Understand the issues of women and prison.
Discuss the concept of labor in prisons.
Review the federal prison system.
Learn about state prisons.
Understand the issues related to juvenile corrections.
Identify prison inmate characteristics.
Contrast jail inmate characteristics.
Understand prison and jail cultures.
Discuss violence in correctional institutions.
Understand juvenile inmate characteristics and issues.
Probation and Parole
Learn the history of probation and parole.
Discuss the administration of probation and parole.
Understand the violations of probation and parole.
Discuss the duties of probation and parole officers.
- Describe contemporary probation and parole services.
Understand issues related to probation for juvenile offenders.
Define community corrections and intermediate punishments.
Discuss "reentry programs" as community based corrections.
Understand the concept of diversion.
Learn about fines, forfeitures, and restitution.
Review the concepts of community service.
- Discuss house arrest and electronic monitoring.
List community alternatives for juveniles.
The Staff Work World and Corrections Careers
Review the responsibilities of institutional corrections officers, probation and parole officers, correctional counselors, community corrections personnel, and other correctional positions.
- Identify workplace challenges
Learn how to find about jobs, internships, and cooperative education experiences.
Discuss correctional job prospects.
Administration of Corrections Programs
Understand concepts of correctional administration and management.
Conduct an overview of the bureaucracy.
Learn various leadership styles.
Discuss the issues facing correctional managers.
Identify modern management tasks.
Understand inmate management.
Correctional Law and Inmate Litigation
Review the history of correctional litigation.
- Discuss correctional litigation and post-conviction relief.
Understand the laws and litigation dealing with probation and parole.
Describe the issues raised by correctional lawsuits.
Identify recent trends in litigation by prison and jail inmates.
Discuss capital punishment and prisoner litigation.
The Future of Corrections
Discuss future correctional philosophies.
Assess future correctional practices.
Estimate future correctional populations.
Anticipate future correctional problems.
Identify future correctional research objectives.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.