This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Communication With Diverse Groups and Special Situations
- Analyze the effect of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 on communication within the criminal justice system.
- Identify techniques for addressing the challenge of language barriers within the criminal justice system.
- Analyze communication dynamics occurring within incidents, emergencies, and conflict situations.
- Determine effective methods of communication for diverse groups.
The Communication Process
- Describe the process and components of communication.
- Describe the flow of communication in criminal justice organizations.
- Identify how to overcome barriers to effective communication.
- Explain the role of types of listening in oral communication.
- Describe the components of verbal and nonverbal communication in criminal justice settings.
Speaking and Writing in the Criminal Justice System
- Identify the guidelines for effective presentations.
- Identify the guidelines for effective speaking.
- Identify the parameters of persuasive writing.
- Identify the guidelines for fact-based report writing.
- Apply effective writing principles to various types of criminal justice communication.
Interviewing and Interrogation
- Differentiate between interviews and interrogations.
- Identify effective techniques for interviewing.
- Describe the legal requirements necessary to acquire admissible statements.
- Explain how technology has affected communication within the different areas of the criminal justice system.
- Describe ways to use new technological communication methods within criminal justice settings.
- Compare purposes of specialized databases in criminal justice.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.