This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Ethnicity and the Police
- Examine how police practices affect police–community relations.
- Explain officer attitudes, police corruption, and citizen complaints relative to ethnicity.
- Analyze public opinion about the police..
- Identify contemporary concerns relative to policing particular ethnic communities.
Ethnicity and the Courts
- Summarize the effect of ethnicity on courtroom proceedings.
- Identify disparity and discrimination issues in courtroom proceedings.
- Explain the need for diversity among courtroom personnel and whether ethnicity influences judicial practices.
- Evaluate the efficacy of jury nullification when premised on ethnic considerations.
Ethnicity, Social Structure, and Crime Victims and Offenders
- Describe how the historical development of policing relates to current concerns regarding multiculturalism.
- Interpret victimization, offender rates, and statistical data for different ethnic groups.
- Describe the history of gangs and their influence on youth.
- Describe the occurrence of hate crimes on people of various ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, and sexual orientations.
- Explain the relationship between police and people of various ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, and sexual orientations.
- Explain the factors related to ethnicity and socioeconomic statuses that lead to disparity in the criminal justice system.
Ethnicity and Corrections
- Describe the issue of ethnic disparity and discrimination within corrections.
- Identify the significance of cultural diversity as it relates to correctional facilities.
- Explain ethnic disparity issues as they relate to the juvenile justice system.
Contemporary Cultural Diversity Issues in Criminal Justice
- Assess whether the criminal justice system discriminates against any group.
- Identify contemporary issues related to disparity and discrimination in the criminal justice system.
- Assess the criminal justice system’s response to the public’s perception of ethnic and gender bias.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.