com170 | undergraduate
Elements Of University Composition And Communication I
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Drafting the Essay
- Identify appropriate types of supporting paragraphs for a topic.
- Formulate effective paragraphs using topic sentences.
- Identify appropriate introductions and conclusions for academic essays.
- Prepare a first draft of an essay using appropriate strategies.
Revising, Editing, and Completing the Essay
- Differentiate between editing and revising.
- Create a final draft through revision.
- Write a well-researched, college-level essay by applying effective writing techniques.
The Writing Process
- Identify the basic structure of an effective paragraph.
- Compose an effective paragraph.
- Demonstrate correct application of grammar, diction, syntax, and punctuation to writing.
- Identify the steps in the writing process.
Rhetorical Modes and Prewriting Strategies
- Determine appropriate purpose, audience, tone, point of view, and content for various types of writing.
- Describe various rhetorical modes.
Thesis Statement and Organizing the Essay
- Compose a thesis statement for an academic essay that makes a claim and support it with examples.
- Construct a topic outline for an academic essay.
- Identify organizational techniques that help writers and readers stay focused.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.