Foundations Of Interpersonal Communication –
This course includes the application of communication principles, theory, and research to the process of interpersonal communication; includes verbal, nonverbal, listening, conflict management, and communication skills most relevant to a broad range of interpersonal settings.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available to take individually or as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
- Identify listening barriers and their effects on interpersonal communication.
- Determine appropriate listening strategies for interpersonal interaction.
- Identify word barriers and their effects on interpersonal communication.
- Determine appropriate word use for interpersonal communication situations.
Diversity and Nonverbal Communication
- Identify cultural barriers and their effects on interpersonal communication.
- Determine appropriate intercultural communication strategies.
- Explain the effect of nonverbal communication codes on interpersonal communication.
- Determine appropriate nonverbal communication strategies for interpersonal communication.
Self and Perception
- Explain how interpersonal perceptions are formed.
- Identify barriers to accurate interpersonal perception.
- Determine appropriate strategies for improving interpersonal perception and self-esteem.
- Explain the importance of attraction and power in interpersonal relationships.
- Explain how interpersonal relationships develop.
- Create a strategy for maintaining interpersonal relationships.
- Compare conflict management styles.
- Determine appropriate conflict management skills for interpersonal relationship challenges.
- Create a plan to manage interpersonal relationship challenges.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.