Advertising And The Media –
This course addresses the elements of advertising and the media. Topics include advertising concepts, selection of media, and the use of media and advertising as marketing communications tools. The course also emphasizes the ongoing convergence of media content and commercial messages and how it is redefining marketing communications.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available to take individually or as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
Communication and Information Management
- Identify the seven trends that characterize modern mass media.
- Compare the functional and the critical or cultural approaches to classifying mass communication.
- Determine the effect of media technologies on culture and society throughout the history of communication.
- Summarize steps in advertising research.
- Explain the development and effect of print media on advertising over time.
- Identify challenges associated with creating print media.
- Analyze the transitional period that print media is entering and the challenges ahead.
- Compare and contrast the different types of print media.
- Compare and contrast the different types of electronic media.
- Explain the development and impact of electronic media on advertising over time.
- Compare the advantages and drawbacks of electronic media as an advertising medium.
Technology and Ethics
- Explain how the emergence of digital media has changed advertising.
- Summarize ethical principles as they relate to advertising and media.
Elements of a Good Message
- Differentiate message strategy from advertising strategy.
- Determine when and how to use the different types of advertising mediums to support an organization's goals.
- Create an advertisement.
- Summarize the effect of media convergence on contemporary advertising.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.