Contemporary Communication In A Diverse Society – com403 (3 credits)
The objective of this course is to focus on the dynamics of human communication across cultures and genders in a multicultural society.
Communication and Racial or Ethnic Groups
- Analyze strategies to overcome communication barriers between racial or ethnic groups.
- Explain the importance of multicultural communication.
- Describe ways to promote effective multicultural communication.
Cultural Norms in Communication
- Evaluate how cultural norms affect communication within a multicultural society.
- Analyze the effect of prejudice and stereotypes on societal communication.
Communication and Cultures
- Identify different ways of communicating.
- Describe the stages of the communication process within a multicultural society.
- Evaluate the impact of technology on human communication across cultures.
Communication and Conflict
- Explain solutions for conflict in communication.
- Analyze how individuals create co-cultures within a multicultural society.
- Describe how individuals identify with co-cultures within a multicultural society.
Multicultural Communication and Genders
- Compare communication styles between genders within a multicultural society.
- Identify barriers to interpersonal communication between genders in a multicultural environment.
- Analyze characteristics of effective multicultural communication between genders.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.