Public Relations And Public Affairs – com430 (3 credits)
Expanding upon the communication model of sender, channel, and receiver, this course explores the communication processes in the public arena, commercial, non-profit, and public interest-based. Professional and ethical foundations will be explored as well as the tools and techniques of these professional practices.
The Five W’s and One H of Public Relations and Public Affairs
- Summarize the public relations and public affairs research and planning stages.
- Explain the communication processes and evaluate their effects.
- Identify the roles of public relations and public affairs in contemporary public communication.
Strategies, Tactics, and Techniques
- Assess how public relations and public affairs affect conflict management.
- Analyze legal implications of public relations and public affairs campaigns.
- Critique the effects of new technology upon public relations and public affairs.
Specific Applications of Public Relations and Public Affairs
- Evaluate the importance of public relations and public affairs in business, politics, and government.
- Assess the role of public relations and public affairs in the global economy and within nonprofit organizations.
- Analyze the need for public relations and public affairs in the educational, entertainment, sports, and travel industries.
Writing for Public Relations and Public Affairs
- Critique the interdependence of message strategies and ethics.
- Evaluate writing strategies for crisis communication.
- Assess approaches to writing annual reports, social responsibility reports, newsletters, and company magazines.
Depth Focus in Public Relations and Public Affairs
- Analyze the most effective means to write for electronic media, including radio, television, and the Internet.
- Critique strategies for writing speeches and presentations.
- Evaluate approaches to writing for desktop publishing.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.