Communication Capstone Course – com480 (3 credits)
This is the capstone course for students pursuing the bachelor's of science in communication. The course provides students with the opportunity to integrate and apply learning from their professional program of study in a comprehensive manner. Students will also assess the impact of their educational experiences on their ethical perspectives and critical thinking skills. Students will reflect on and evaluate their personal and professional growth in the study of communication, the benefits of lifelong learning, and the impact of these elements on their future.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Analysis and Recommendation – Public Relations, Public Affairs, and Media
- Recommend organizational communication strategies to address critical events.
- Analyze the effect of critical events on communication within public relations, public affairs, and media.
Reflection, Evaluation, and Analysis – Capstone Project
- Determine how to apply communication knowledge and theories in professional settings.
- Evaluate the practical application of communication theory in a professional setting.
- Identify professional applications for the communication degree program.
Problem Identification – Concepts, Theories, Principles, and Practices
- Assess an organization to establish the value of communication.
- Identify the people, tasks, and communication variables within an organization.
- Integrate communication theories for the purpose of analysis in an organization.
Analysis and Application – Interpersonal and Intercultural Communication
- Identify appropriate communication strategies for responding to a critical event.
- Analyze the effect of critical events on interpersonal and intercultural communication.
- Apply a theoretic perspective to a critical event resulting in a positive communication outcome.
Analysis and Creation – Training and Development
- Identify communication training needs created by a critical event.
- Design a communication training plan for an organization in crisis.
Predict the outcome of a communication training plan for an organization in crisis.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.