Elements Of University Composition And Communication I –
This course addresses the key elements necessary for effective academic writing in college. The course begins with focus on prewriting strategies and builds to drafting and revising essays. In addition, the course includes skill development at the sentence and paragraph level.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
The Writing Process
- Identify the basic structure of an effective paragraph.
- Compose an effective paragraph.
- Identify the steps in the writing process.
- Demonstrate correct application of grammar, diction, syntax, and punctuation to writing.
Rhetorical Modes and Prewriting Strategies
- Determine appropriate purpose, audience, tone, point of view, and content for various types of writing.
- Describe various rhetorical modes.
Thesis Statement and Organizing the Essay
- Compose a thesis statement for an academic essay that makes a claim and support it with examples.
- Construct a topic outline for an academic essay.
- Identify organizational techniques that help writers and readers stay focused.
Drafting the Essay
- Identify appropriate introductions and conclusions for academic essays.
- Prepare a first draft of an essay using appropriate strategies.
- Identify appropriate types of supporting paragraphs for a topic.
- Formulate effective paragraphs using topic sentences.
Revising, Editing, and Completing the Essay
- Differentiate between editing and revising.
- Create a final draft through revision.
- Write a well-researched, college-level essay by applying effective writing techniques.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.