Essentials Of College Writing –
This course covers the essential writing skills required for college-level coursework. Students will learn to distinguish between interpretive and analytical writing while using the writing process and specific rhetorical strategies to develop position and persuasion essays and a case study analysis, and learning teams will prepare an applied research paper. The course offers exercises for review of the elements of grammar, mechanics, style, citation, and proper documentation.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available to take individually or as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
- Apply appropriate rhetorical strategies to a persuasive essay.
- Utilize different types of writing styles as appropriate for mood and point of view.
Academic Essay Analysis
- Interpret data for analysis in writing.
- Demonstrate organization and focus in an academic essay.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform each of the steps involved in the writing process.
Research and Supporting Evidence
- Apply critical thinking skills to essays, research papers, and case study analyses.
- Evaluate the relevance, reliability, and objectivity of sources.
- Identify the characteristics of a good resource as it relates to a specific topic.
- Use peer editing methods to produce clear and concise writing.
- Demonstrate the ability to support ideas with appropriate evidence.
- Transform written material into an integrated learning team presentation.
- Synthesize research information and materials to produce a research paper.
Documentation, Grammar, Punctuation, and Mechanics
- Apply the rules of English sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, style, and usage in a written document.
- Apply the rules of style to a written research paper, using appropriate methods to summarize, paraphrase, cite, and reference sources.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.