Foundations Of Curriculum And Instruction – cur558 (3 credits)
This course focuses on understanding what curriculum is and how it is developed in schools. Curriculum planning is examined, as is the philosophy in this process. Procedures involved in curriculum development, planning, and implementation are addressed; practical application is emphasized.
Curriculum Development and Design
- Examine the role of technology in curriculum development and design
- Describe the influence that school districts’ mission statements have on curriculum design
- Analyze the instructional variables associated with curriculum development and design
- Identify the roles of school personnel and external groups in the curriculum development and implementation process
- Analyze leadership roles in the process of curriculum implementation
- Examine curriculum issues at the elementary, middle, and high school level
Improvements in the Curriculum Implementation Process
- Analyze the function of educational, societal, and political changes in the process of curriculum implementation
- Describe several lessons of curriculum change
- Identify collaborative work cultures for curriculum
Impact of Personal Philosophy and Learning Theories on Curriculum Development and Design
- Summarize the major educational philosophies
- Examine the impact that personal philosophies have on curriculum and on an educational environment
- Describe various learning theories and their influence on curriculum planning and design
History and Foundations of Curriculum
- Analyze the history and trends of curriculum planning and design
- Examine the roles of curriculum personnel in the 21st century
- Define curriculum
Curriculum Planning Process
- Describe various types of curricula
- Examine the focal points for developing, designing, and implementing curriculum
- Identify the four stages of the curriculum planning process
- Analyze the influence that educational standards have on curriculum
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.