cur507 | Graduate
Social, Political, And Cultural Contexts Of Schools
topic title goes here
Social Contexts in Education
- Develop a plan to engage school stakeholders in creating a positive social environment in schools.
- Indentify characteristics of a positive social climate in a school.
- Examine contributing factors to the social climate of a school.
- Examine the roles of school stakeholders in creating and sustaining a positive school climate.
Diversity and Equity
- Identify types of diversity in schools.
- Analyze issues related to assessing learning and social behavior in a diverse environment.
- Examine how perceived student deficits can be assets.
- Differentiate equality and equity.
- Examine issues of equity and equality in the context of diverse school populations.
- Discuss the impact of diversity in schools.
Taking Local Action in Addressing Mandates
- Interpret local and national mandates.
- Examine teacher autonomy versus text based curriculum.
- Discuss individual roles of educators in taking action in local settings.
Schooling a Global Community
- Describe how the global community has historically evolved.
- Compare and contrast positive and negative effects of educational globalization.
- Examine how access to the global educational community can enhance instruction for diverse learners.
- Create a plan for involving learners in the global educational community.
Cultural Contexts in Education
- Identify cultural constructs in school.
- Describe how cultural diversity has evolved historically in schools.
- Analyze cultural norms and biases perpetuated in school, state, and national educational policies and practices.
- Examine how decision-making and school climate may be influenced by the cultural norms and biases of school leaders.
Historical and Political Influences in Contemporary Education
- Examine historical influences on educational policy.
- Differentiate between historical and contemporary reform movements.
- Compare and contrast current national and local influences on contemporary education.
- Determine a personal stance on historical and current political issues influencing contemporary education.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.