edl505 | Graduate
topic title goes here
Overview of Cultural Proficiency
- Examine tools for developing cultural proficiency.
- Assess personal cultural perspective.
- Relate the importance of reflection to culturally responsive instruction.
- Examine the cultural proficiency continuum.
Leading Change to Foster Understanding of Cultural Proficiency
- Develop an example plan for a professional development session.
- Analyze the importance of communities of practice for fostering cultural competency.
- Examine the process of change.
Promoting Cultural Proficiency
- Critique professional development sessions.
- Describe personal reflections.
Culturally Proficient Approach to Instruction
- Summarize the characteristics of a culturally proficient instructor.
- Examine culturally responsive curriculum and materials.
- Relate the mandates of No Child Left Behind (NCLB) to the need for culturally competent instruction.
- Examine the importance of using data to guide instruction.
The Culture of School Environments
- Assess the culture of a school.
- Analyze how collaboration affects the school culture.
- Analyze the characteristics of culturally responsive environments.
- Relate the importance of learning styles to culturally responsive teaching.
- Examine the research on poverty and disproportionality as it relates to proficient practices.
- Identify barriers to cultural proficiency.
Strategies to Support Culturally Responsive Instruction
- Research evidence-based strategies to support and develop culturally responsive instruction such as differentiated instruction, proactive behavior management, culturally responsive assessment, cooperative learning, inclusion pratices, and family/community involvement.
- Improve a lesson plan to provide culturally responsive instruction.
- Develop a personal professional growth plan for moving toward more culturally competent practices.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.