Effective Essay Writing –
In this course, students develop academic writing skills. Students use the writing process to construct an expository essay with an emphasis on coherence and correctness in written communication. Students also conduct basic research for the expository essay. Selected readings provide the basis for discussion regarding the difference between fact and opinion. Grammar exercises focus on verb tense and form, subject-verb and pronoun-antecedent agreement, and pronoun case. Students also complete exercises covering topic sentences, paragraph development, citations, and formatting guidelines.
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks. This course is available to take individually or as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
- Differentiate between fact and opinion.
- Determine strategies for selecting and narrowing an appropriate essay topic.
The Writing Process
- Use grammar, mechanics, spelling, and punctuation appropriately.
- Identify the steps in the writing process.
- Recognize characteristics of expository essays.
- Conduct basic Internet research.
- Determine the credibility of online information.
- Determine topics and subtopics to support the main ideas for an expository essay.
- Apply style guidelines for documenting sources.
- Identify topic sentences and types of paragraph development.
- Determine appropriate types of supporting paragraphs for a topic.
- Create a thesis statement for an expository essay.
Organizing the Expository Essay
- Construct a topic outline for the expository essay.
- Determine appropriate methods for citing source material.
- Generate body paragraphs for an expository essay.
Introductions and Conclusions
- Discuss appropriate introductions and conclusions for expository essays.
- Generate an introduction and a conclusion for an expository essay.
Revising and Editing the Essay
- Utilize feedback to revise and edit an expository essay.
- Identify basic formatting guidelines for academic papers.
Completing the Expository Essay
- Apply the steps in the writing process to complete a clear, concise, coherent, and unified expository essay.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.