eng220 | undergraduate
University Academic Writing
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
The Mechanics of Writing
- Document sources using an appropriate style guide.
- Demonstrate correct application of grammar and syntax to writing.
- Identify appropriate diction for academic essays.
- Demonstrate proper punctuation for different types of sentences.
- Compose a thesis statement that makes a claim and support it with examples.
- Describe the structure and use of comparison and contrast in an essay.
- Create a narrative essay using description.
The Writer’s Voice
- Write a well-researched, college-level essay by applying effective writing techniques.
- Describe your personal writing process.
The Writing Process
- Apply prewriting techniques such as freewriting, journal writing, and clustering.
- Create a rough draft of an essay.
- Create a final draft through revision.
- Differentiate between editing and revising.
Writing Effective Sentences, Paragraphs, and Essays
- Demonstrate a variety of sentence structures.
- Identify the basic structure of an effective paragraph.
- Compose an effective paragraph.
- Create a short essay using appropriate structure.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.