esl504 | Graduate
Assessment Of Limited-english Prof Student
topic title goes here
Assessment of Parental and/or Community Involvement with Literacy(Conceptual Framework Theme(s) addressed: Leading through Innovative Practice, Valuing Diversity)
- Identify characteristics associated with diverse educational and/or work communities.
- Synthesize research implications for effective parental and/or community involvement.
- Apply research findings to enhance parental and/or community involvement.
Policy and Rationale for Assessment(Conceptual Framework Theme(s) addressed: Advocating for Learning)
- Determine the purpose for assessment of ELLs.
- Examine standard-based reforms.
- Analyze assessment accommodations/modifications for ELLs.
- Discern the relationship between standards, assessments, and educational planning.
- Explore assessment and its link to educational services for ELLs.
Progress of Second Language Acquisition(Conceptual Framework Theme(s) addressed: Leading through Innovative Practice)
- Describe the relationship between first and second language literacy.
- Analyze the connection between oral language and literacy development.
- Demonstrate facilitative approaches to enhance language growth.
- Identify literacy skills assessed in educational settings.
Content Area Assessment(Conceptual Framework Theme(s) addressed: Advocating for Learning)
- Analyze how assessment impacts instructional practices in educational settings.
- Compare and contrast the characteristics and uses of standardized and informal assessments.
- Develop appropriate rubrics to assess reading, writing, listening, and speaking proficiencies in a literacy-embedded project for ELLs.
- Identify how demographics have impacted content assessment.
- Examine features of reading that pose difficulty to ELLs.
Assessment and Intervention
- Evaluate options for assessing ELL students' cognitive and academic abilities.
- Determine the appropriateness of various assessments tools used to measure literacy proficiencies.
- Examine the relationship between language assessment and literacy instruction.
- Explain the evolution of bilingual/biliteracy programs.
- Evaluate the interaction between first and second language literacy processes.
- Review guiding principles to foster biliteracy instruction.
Reading and Writing Assessment(Conceptual Framework Theme(s) addressed: Advocating for Learning)
- Examine research related to reading and writing assessment.
- Analyze implications and applications for instructional literacy practices.
- Analyze research regarding the assessment of reading comprehension strategies for ELLs.
- Select appropriate pre-, during-, and post-reading strategies.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.