Introduction To Health Care: Riding The Fourth Wave –
This course provides a broad overview of the United States health care system. The historical evolution of the business of health care is examined. The student will explore management concepts and workforce opportunities within the health care industry.
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks. This course is available to take individually or as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
History and Overview of the U.S. Health Care System
- Describe the evolution of health care delivery in the United States.
- Identify cultural and demographic factors contributing to health care in the United States.
History - Industry
- Identify the ancillary services that support the health care industry.
- Describe how health care industry has changed over the last 50 years.
Major Health Care Providers
- Describe the scope of the medical and nursing profession.
- Explain key issues and challenges facing major health care providers.
- Identify education, licensure, and certification requirement for major health care providers.
- Describe the continuum of health care and service providers.
- Identify the purpose of additional providers in the health care workforce.
Business and Management for Health Care
- Describe major business functions of the health care industry.
- Identify key administrative management roles and functions.
Regulatory in Health Care
- Explain how regulations impact health care managers and workers.
- Describe the potential impact of health care reform on health care delivery.
Economic Costs of Health Care
- Describe the health care benefits offered through Medicare and Medicaid.
- Explain the economic causes and implications of health care spending and costs.
- Identify key functions and incentives of health maintenance organizations.
Technology in Health Care
- Describe technological advances and the impact on health care delivery.
- Explain how electronic medical impacts health care delivery.
Future Trends and Global Impact of Health Care
- Identify future trends in health care.
- Describe the global impact in heath care.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.