hca260 | undergraduate
Health Care's Law And Ethics Environment
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Demonstrate decision making regarding access to medical records.
- Explain actions that negatively affect medical record creditability.
- Evaluate issues that impact access to medical records.
Privacy and Confidentiality
- Summarize the privacy requirements of HIPAA.
- Describe the limits of confidentiality.
- Compare and contrast privacy and confidentiality.
Ethics and the Living
- Discuss beginning of life rights for the couple and fetus or child.
- Discuss the balance between autonomy and paternalism.
- Debate quality of life versus sanctity of life.
Being Prepared for Ethical Dilemmas
- Analyze the difficulty in the allocation of healthcare resources.
- Recognize the importance of a code of ethics.
- Describe the three forms of advanced directives.
Law and Medicine
- Explain the responsibility of the medical professional to the employee, the employer, and the patient.
- Distinguish between the standard of care required for a medical professional and a layperson working in a medical office.
- Discuss the importance of legal knowledge in the medical office.
- Examine the elements of a civil malpractice suit.
- Describe the five defenses to a medical malpractice course of action.
- Identify types of product liability.
Criminal and Civil Law
- Contrast criminal and civil causes of action in the medical profession.
- Discuss the types of intentional torts.
- Examine the medical professional's responsibility as related to child abuse.
Legal liability in the medical profession
- Examine legal compliance in the medical workplace.
Healthcare as a Business
- Summarize Federal Employment Acts in the medical profession.
- Identify the purpose of job descriptions, office handbooks, and procedure manuals in a medical office.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.