This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Criminal and Civil Law
- Contrast criminal and civil causes of action in the health care profession.
- Describe the health care employee's responsibility regarding reportable instances.
- Discuss the types of intentional torts.
Health Care Business Roles
- Identify the purpose of job descriptions in a health care setting.
- Explain how regulations impact health care employees.
- Describe the importance of maintaining a code of ethics.
- Differentiate between personal and professional ethics.
- Describe the three forms of advanced directives.
- Explain actions that negatively affect medical record creditability.
- Explain the reasons for restricting access to health records.
- Determine appropriate personnel access to health records.
Privacy and Confidentiality
- Summarize the privacy requirements of HIPAA.
- Compare and contrast privacy and confidentiality.
- Describe the limits of confidentiality.
Basics of Ethics in Health Care
- Explain the ethical challenges of resource scarcity in health care.
- Distinguish between laws, morals, and ethics.
Influences on the Health Care Industry
- Discuss the roles of accrediting organizations in health care.
- Discuss the roles of other organizations that influence health care.
Law and Medicine
- Describe the legislative process.
- Describe the levels of laws.
- Describe the legal and ethical responsibilities of the health care employee.
- Describe the elements of a civil malpractice lawsuit.
- Identify measures to reduce malpractice risk.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.