Health & Diseases: Understanding Pathos Of Pathology –
This course introduces the student to the basic principles of illness and disease commonly seen in the health care environment. Topics may include infectious and noninfectious diseases, environmental health, and the promotion of good health practices. In addition, students will be introduced to common disease and medical procedure terminology.
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks. This course is available to take individually or as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
Introduction to Human Health and Disease
- Describe the relationship between the environment and human health.
- Describe health risks associated with changing demographics.
Immunity, Infectious Diseases, and Cancer
- Describe the basic structures and functions involved in an inflammatory response.
- Outline the consequences of infectious disease on human health.
- Describe the causes, symptoms, and treatment of cancer.
Diseases of the Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
- Identify the causes, symptoms, and treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
- Contrast normal with abnormal functions of the respiratory system.
Diseases of Blood and the Musculoskeletal System
Explain the components and function of blood.
- Identify the causes, symptoms, and treatment of blood disorders.
- Describe the causes, symptoms, and treatments of musculoskeletal disorders.
Diseases of the Gastrointestinal System
- Explain the impact of lifestyle on normal functions of the gastrointestinal system.
- Describe the causes, symptoms, and treatments of gastrointestinal disorders.
Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
- Identify causes, symptoms, and treatment of urinary tract diseases.
- Describe the structures and functions of the male and female reproductive tracts.
- Describe causes, symptoms, and treatment of reproductive tract diseases.
Diseases of the Endocrine System
- Identify the components and functions of the endocrine system.
- Describe the relationship of glandular activity to dysfunction in target organs.
- Examine the management and effects of diabetes.
Mental Illness and Diseases of the Nervous System
- Outline the causes, effects, and treatment of nervous system diseases.
- Describe environmental and biological factors associated with mental illness.
- Explain the signs, symptoms, and treatment associated with mental illnesses.
Wrap-up of Human Diseases
- Examine the impact of disease trends on the delivery of health care services.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.