Health Care Informatics –
This course is designed to examine computer and electronic modalities that assist patient and client management. The automation of data management through information systems, expert systems, and telecommunications will be examined in the context of health care informatics. The use of technology to help make decisions and to improve the health status of the individual, family, and community will be emphasized.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
Role of Technology and Informatics in Nursing
- Identify basic computer, software, and informatics terms and concepts.
- Describe how nurses manage health care information.
- Describe the nurse’s role in the use of informatics and technology.
- Explain the strategic planning process.
Health Information Systems
- Identify information systems used in the health care setting.
- Explain the effect of regulatory, legal, and ethical issues in the nurse’s use of data and health information systems.
- Explain how the informatics and technological needs of a health care organization are determined.
Nurse Leaders' Use of Technology
- Determine selection criteria for evaluating informatics and technology systems.
- Describe how nurse leaders use technology to make health care decisions.
Health Care Technology Assessment and Selection
- Compare similar health care technologies.
- Select a specific health care technology resource appropriate for the given requirements of a population and facility.
- Identify considerations regarding health care technology implementation and maintenance.
- Explore the future of informatics.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.