hcs430 | undergraduate
Legal Issues In Health Care: Regulation And Compliance
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Organizational and Professional Responsibility/Liability
- Analyze appropriate ongoing risk management and quality assurance programs for health care.
- Describe the elements of negligence and intentional torts that could bring financial liability to health care organizations and individuals.
- Identify principles of agency law that impact responsibility and accountability in health care organizations.
- Describe standards of care and potential liability for health care professionals and organizations.
Health Care Issues in the Relationships of Providers, Third-Party Payers, and Patients
- Describe legal issues and applicable laws that apply to and regulate managed care.
- Describe state and federal statutory and regulatory enactments relative to patients’ rights and responsibilities.
- Identify principles of patient consent and the resulting implications for the health care industry.
- Identify the status of physicians’ rights and responsibilities in the delivery of health care.
Legal Issues in Information and Technology Management
- Explain legal and ethical obligations relating to the documentation, retention, storage, and use of medical records.
- Analyze the legal and ethical implications of using technology or informatics in the health care industry.
- Explain the components and implications of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Identify all statutory, regulatory, and common law requirements of confidentiality in the health care industry.
The Legal Environment of the Health Care Industry
- Relate the general nature, sources, and functions of the law to the health care industry.
- Identify the governmental and other agencies that impact the health care industry and the regulatory scheme they administer.
- Analyze the regulatory issues and trends that impact the health care industry.
- Explain the function and process of individual and organizational licensure, accreditation, certification, and authorization.
Contract and Criminal Law in Health Care
- Identify the various components of criminal law that professionals in the health care industry must understand to avoid violations.
- Recognize the elements of enforceable contracts and the types of contracts that are applicable to health care providers.
Labor Laws Impacting Health Care Organizations and Individuals
- Describe how equal-employment opportunity laws are applied to ensure an equitable workplace.
- Define the health and safety laws that must be applied by health care organizations and providers in ensuring a safe and productive workplace.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.