IT205N Management of Information Systems
This course provides an introduction to the use and application of information systems technology in the business environment. Concepts include the components of M.I.S., the systems development process, and the use of the basic types of information systems in support of the organization’s goals and objectives. Topics discussed include basic hardware and software concepts, telecommunications, business processes, strategy, databases, artificial intelligence, ethics, legal issues, and electronic commerce using the Internet.
Topics and Objectives
The Role of Information Systems
- Describe the people, organization, and technology components of an information system.
- Identify Enterprise Systems and their use in business.
- Explain the information systems function in business.
- Explain how information systems help businesses use synergies, core competencies and network-based strategies to achieve competitive advantage.
Information Technology Infrastructure: Hardware and Software
- Identify the components of IT Infrastructure.
- List the major computer hardware, data storage, input and output technologies used in business.
- Identify the major types of computer software used in business.
Foundations of Business Intelligence, Decision Making and
- Explain the impact of database tools and technologies on business performance and decision making.
- Explain the role of information policy and data administration in the management of organizational data resources.
- Identify the types of systems used for enterprise-wide knowledge management.
- Identify the major types of knowledge work systems.
Telecommunication, the Internet, and Wireless Technology
- Identify the principal components of telecommunications networks and key networking technologies.
- Explain how the Internet and Internet technology work and how they support communication and e-business.
- Identify the principal technologies and standards for wireless networking, communication, and Internet access.
Security, Ethics and Social Issues
- Explain the business value of security and control.
- Identify important tools and technologies for safeguarding information resources.
- Debate the ethical, social and political issues raised by information systems.
- Identify the five moral dimensions of the information age.
- Explain how enterprise systems help businesses achieve operational excellence.
- Identify the challenges posed by enterprise applications.
- Describe how customer relationship management systems support the ability for businesses to achieve customer intimacy.
- Identify the unique features of e-commerce, digital markets and digital goods.
- Explain the impact of Internet technology on business models.
- Compare and contrast the types of electronic payment systems.
Building Information Systems and Managing Projects
- Explain the core problem-solving steps for developing new information systems.
- Compare and contrast alternative systems-building approaches.
- Compare and contrast alternative methodology for modeling and designing systems.
- Explain best practices for information systems project management.
- Identify the major concepts of information technology.
or call us