Teaching Methods: Reading Through The Arts –
During this course, participants address ways to incorporate the arts into the classroom in order to motivate students and to meet the needs of all learners. Emphasis is placed on supporting and enhancing student learning in English, language arts, and reading through integration of the arts. By investigating a variety of resources and techniques, participants develop methods to communicate creatively with and through the arts.
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
Resources for Arts Integration
- Analyze research supporting arts integration.
- Relate the national and state arts standards to state content area standards.
- Assess available resources for classroom integration of the arts.
Foundations of Arts Education
- Apply the elements of art and the principles of design.
- Determine commonalities between the content areas and the arts curriculum.
- Evaluate lesson plan models using the integrated approach to meet the needs of all learners.
Integration of Literature and the Arts
- Explain the rationale for utilizing children’s and young adult literature with the arts.
- Evaluate the quality of a piece of children’s or young adult literature.
Instructional Strategies to Meet the Needs of All Learners
- Propose strategies for engaging students in reading literature.
- Differentiate instruction and activities for students with diverse needs.
Effective Arts Integration in the Classroom
- Evaluate assessment strategies in the arts and in the content areas.
- Develop lessons to effectively apply the arts in the content areas.
- Apply integration principles to the personal classroom experience.
- All objectives apply.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Although these courses are accepted by some state agencies in the United States toward teacher certifications and endorsements, this may not be the case in all states or foreign jurisdictions. If you plan to use this course for certification or endorsement, please check with your own state agency and your school district for applicability. Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student's choice. Continuing teacher education courses that are not part of a degree program are not intended to apply to degree programs at University of Phoenix.