Teaching Methods: Elementary Art – med551 (3 credits)
This course is designed to prepare participants to integrate the visual arts across elementary curriculum. The elements of art and principles of design, art methods, lesson planning, and classroom management techniques, with particular emphasis on diverse students, are examined. Participants draw, paint, make prints, and create sculptures appropriate for the elementary setting.
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Studio Experience, Part I
- Integrate painting across the curriculum.
- Integrate art using technology across the curriculum.
- Integrate drawing techniques across the curriculum.
Building an Art-Friendly Classroom
- Identify exhibition opportunities for student art.
- List art resources, supplies, and equipment for the classroom.
- Create a plan for an art-friendly classroom.
- Define safety guidelines for elementary art.
- Support diverse students in art experiences.
- All objectives apply.
Foundations of Elementary Art Education
- Compare art programs in elementary schools.
- Defend art education in the classroom.
- Analyze the elements of art and principles of design.
Studio Experience, Part II
- Integrate sculpture across the curriculum.
- Integrate printmaking across the curriculum.
- Describe ways to integrate the arts in the classroom.
- Create questions to help students look thoughtfully at art.
- Create an integrated art lesson plan based on state and national art standards.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Although these courses are accepted by some state agencies in the United States toward teacher certifications and endorsements, this may not be the case in all states or foreign jurisdictions. If you plan to use this course for certification or endorsement, please check with your own state agency and your school district for applicability. Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student's choice. Continuing teacher education courses that are not part of a degree program are not intended to apply to degree programs at University of Phoenix.