Management: Theory, Practice And Application –
This course explores the rich field of management in theory and practice, and as both a science and an art. The course also addresses the role of managers in the current world of rapid change, increased competitive forces, and increased expectations for the successful performance of employees and organizations. The focus is on some of the ways and means of achieving desired goals. The student will leave this course with a solid background in the nature and work of management and managers. Applications of concepts to current workplace issues will be stressed.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
Overview of the Functions of Management
- Define the four functions of management.
- Explain how internal and external factors impact the four functions of management.
- Explain how managers use delegation.
Planning as a Management Function
- Evaluate the planning function of management.
- Analyze various factors that influence strategic, tactical, operational, and contingency planning.
- Analyze the impact that legal issues, ethics, and corporate social responsibility have on management planning.
Organizing as a Management Function
- Evaluate the organizing function of management as it relates to organizational resources.
- Compare and contrast various types of organizational structures.
- Evaluate how organizational functions impact organizational structures.
Leading as a Management Function
- Differentiate between management and leadership.
- Examine the role and responsibilities of leaders in creating and maintaining a healthy organizational culture.
- Evaluate the impact of globalization and management across borders.
Controlling as a Management Function
- Compare and contrast various control mechanisms.
- Examine positive and negative reactions to the use of controls.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.