mte541ca | Graduate
Language Development For Secondary Settings
topic title goes here
ELL Instructional Strategies in Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English Classrooms
- Identify typical vocabulary, word formation, and grammar-related communication difficulties of linguistically diverse students.
- Determine strategies to improve reading comprehension in the content area for linguistically diverse students.
Cognitive and Affective Language Learning Theory
- Review the major theories of second language acquisition.
- Examine oral and written language acquisition strategies for primary and second language learning as they relate to content areas and proficiency levels.
- Analyze the integrated nature of cognitive and affective language development.
Learning Styles and Their Implications for Teaching Secondary ELL Students
- Analyze learning styles and communication strategies of ELL students.
Support and Community Resource Services for the Secondary ELL Students
- Analyze the correlation between dropout rates and secondary education programs for ELL students.
- Identify post-secondary career and education opportunities for ELL students.
Historical Perspectives and Current Political Trends of Second Language Acquisition
- Analyze the immigration trends in the United States.
- Examine the history and role of bilingual education and the implications for second language development.
Socio-cultural and Language Factors in the Secondary Classroom
- Analyze socio-cultural and language factors in the secondary classroom.
- Analyze the origin, structure, and function of dialects and their impact on classroom instruction.
Second Language Acquisition for Secondary ELL Students
- Define the semantics and pragmatics of language acquisition
Second Language Acquisition for Secondary ELL Students (continued)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of English as a second language in specially designed academic instruction in English classrooms.
- Apply the nature and process of language acquisition to classroom instructional methods and materials.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.