mte560ca | Graduate
Curriculum Const & Assmt: Secondary Health Science
topic title goes here
Classroom Assessments and Rubrics
- Construct an open-ended assessment.
- Analyze formative and summative health science assessments and rubrics.
- Evaluate the characteristics of effective health science assessment.
Parent, Teacher, and Community Collaboration
- Explain the importance of parent–teacher communication and collaboration.
- Explore strategies to utilize community resources in the health science classroom.
- Explore the range of social, health, educational, and language-related service agencies and other resources available at school and off-campus.
- Examine how family and personal experiences shape teaching and learning perceptions in the health science classroom.
- Determine strategies for increasing the level of parental involvement.
Integrating Literature, Technology, and Media
- Analyze health resources for validity.
- Integrate literature into a health science lesson.
- Compile a list of fiction and nonfiction literature to enhance health science instruction.
- Utilize consumer, environmental, and community health resources.
- Analyze the legal and ethical issues regarding the use of technology in the classroom.
- Explore various technologies and media that can support health science instruction.
Instructional Approaches and Strategies
- Analyze effective motivational techniques to engage health science students.
- Review approaches to unit and lesson planning in teaching health science.
- Propose innovative instructional strategies and materials used to teach health science to adolescents.
- Analyze ways in which differentiating instruction occurs in the health science classroom.
- Identify ways in which classroom management techniques can enhance the health science classroom.
- Examine a holistic health education approach.
- Develop an instructional unit for health science.
- Review the roles of health science professional organizations.
- Identify professional development opportunities in health science available in your state.
- Analyze the importance of staying current in health science education.
- Analyze professional resources available to health science teachers.
Reading and Writing Strategies
- Implement reading and writing strategies in a health science lesson.
- Evaluate current health science texts.
- Describe methods to incorporate reading and writing strategies into health science lessons.
- Examine strategies for building students’ comprehension and vocabulary skills in health science.
Review of Health Science Education Content Knowledge
- Define health and wellness.
- Describe major content areas of health science education.
- Examine your state’s teacher licensure examinations for health science education.
History and Trends in Health Science Education
- Explain historical perspectives and trends in health science instruction.
- Examine current themes and trends in health science instruction.
Standards and Curricula
- Examine state and national health science standards.
- Describe the importance of curriculum mapping in planning and preparation.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.