nsg520 | Graduate
This course integrates the principles, theories, and models of leadership used in advanced nursing roles. A key focus is determining one’s personal identity as a nurse leader. Topics include complexities in global health care, delivery systems, leadership in the current health care environment, and the future of nursing. Students begin developing a project to be finalized and presented in the capstone course.
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) to Support Leadership
- Describe qualities specified by the Magnet designation of high performance organizations.
- Identify benchmarking strategies within EBP models and Magnet designation.
Leadership Challenges in the Current Health Care Environment
- Identify nursing leadership opportunities available through professional organizations.
- Recognize the influence of globalization on delivery challenges in health care.
- Describe the effect of cultural diversity on health care teams.
Future of Nursing Leadership
Clarify personal leadership qualities necessary to meet professional leadership goals.
- Relate current organizational trends to the future of nursing leadership.
Personal Leadership Qualities
- Differentiate between leadership theories and styles.
- Describe personal leadership qualities in professional nursing contexts.
- Apply criteria from the Ethical Lense Inventory to leadership decisions.
Differentiate the characteristics of leadership and management.
Principles, Theories, And Models of Leadership for Quality Improvement
Distinguish concepts related to the principles, theories, and models of leadership.
Explain the influence of leadership theorists on practice.
Explain the significance of safety, quality, and values in the role of the nurse leader.
- Explain the role of the professional nurse leader as a member of the inter-professional health care team.
- Determine goals and objectives for quality improvement.
Principles, Theories, And Models of Leadership For Change
- Explain the influence of change theorists on practice.
- Distinguish strategies the nurse leader can use to support followership and empowerment.
- Describe how nurse leaders can incorporate the change process.
- Identify sources of power.
- Describe the role of power in leadership.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.