Theoretical Bases For Nursing Practice –
This course focuses on the conceptual and theoretical aspects of professional nursing practice within the unifying framework of Orem's self-care model. Nursing process is applied in the context of self-care deficits and therapeutic self-care demand. The taxonomies of Nursing Diagnosis, Nursing Interventions Classification (NIC), and Nursing Outcomes Classifications (NOC) are introduced. The role of the nurse as a change agent in facilitating behavioral changes in individuals is reinforced. Key competencies in collaborative care are explored.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
Professional Theory-Based Nursing Practice
- Describe how personal and ethical values impact professional practice.
- Describe the relevance of standards of practice to professional nursing.
- Identify the components of Orem's self-care deficit theory.
- Differentiate between universal, developmental, and health deviation self-care requisites.
- Define therapeutic self-care demand.
- Illustrate the components of the nursing process.
- Compare the components of Orem's self-care model with the nursing process.
- Identify self-care deficits associated with nursing diagnoses in a case study situation.
- Describe nursing agency as it is applied within the structure of the nursing process.
Collaborative Nursing Practice
- Identify competencies necessary for collaborative interaction and care within health care settings.
- Describe the impact of HIPAA (1996) regulations on collaborative practice.
Nursing Diagnosis, Outcomes, and Interventions
- Identify the purpose and use of nursing diagnosis, NIC, and NOC.
- Relate NIC and NOC to appropriate nursing diagnoses.
- Apply NIC to appropriate nursing interventions.
Use of Orem's Self-Care Model in Planning Client Care
- Define nursing systems in terms of professional nursing.
- Relate nursing systems and professional nursing roles to clinical examples.
- Demonstrate the use of critical thinking skills in the application of professional nursing concepts.
- Describe the change agent role in providing professional nursing care to clients.
- Apply the Orem nursing system model to the management of a client in a case study situation.
- Define clinical judgment in nursing practice.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.