Care Of The Geriatric Client – nur431 (3 credits)
This course is designed to explore current theories and practices in gerontologic nursing. The primary focus of the course is to explore the role of the nurse in assessing and managing the continuum of care with the aging client and family within a community. Students must successfully complete 45 clinical hours in order to pass the course.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Health Promotion Strategies
- Examine strategies to promote health in the geriatric client.
- Explain the importance of collaboration with various stakeholders when identifying interventions and resources for the care of the geriatric client.
- Apply appropriate teaching strategies for effective geriatric client and family education.
Legal and Regulatory Issues
- Identify entitlement programs available for the aging population.
- Examine end-of-life care procedures and processes.
- Analyze the ethical concerns related to the geriatric client.
Trends in Geriatric Nursing
- Predict future trends in caring for the geriatric client.
- Discuss research protocols used in the geriatric client population.
Concepts in Geriatric Nursing
- Discuss the IOM Report as it relates to aging.
- Examine the nurse’s role as a geriatric nurse.
- Explain the effect of the geriatric population on the continuum of care.
- Apply current theories and research related to the geriatric client.
- Describe the aging process.
- Identify the components of a comprehensive geriatric client assessment.
- Explain the effect of pharmacologic agents on the geriatric client.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.