Contemporary Issues And Health Policy –
This course examines the interrelationships of legal decisions, health policy development, legislation, and regulation in the context of contemporary issues. Activities explore the impact of health policy changes on the individual nursing practice and the delivery of health care to consumers. Nursing ethics are explored in relation to health policy and decision making.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Advisor.
- Define professional ethics.
- Compare and contrast personal values and professional ethics.
Nursing Licensure and Standards of Practice
- Describe licensure requirements for registered nurses.
- Describe state Nurse Practice Acts and their impact on professional nursing practice.
- Describe scope of practice in a variety of health care settings.
Legal Standards and Nursing Liability
- Discuss potential nursing liability issues in a variety of health care settings.
- Compare and contrast negligence and malpractice.
Access to Care and Informed Consent
- Discuss the nurse's role in obtaining informed consent.
- Compare and contrast the impact of Medicare and Medicaid on patient's access to care.
Impact of Law on Professional Nursing Practice
- Discuss the impact of the nursing shortage on professional nursing practice.
- Discuss the role of the nurse in protecting patient safety.
- Discuss issues and trends affecting current nursing practice.
- The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
- While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Advisor.
- Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.