topic title goes here
Sleep, Dreaming, and Circadian Rhythms
- Describe common sleeping disorders and drugs that affect sleep.
- Describe common sleep stages and dream concepts and theories.
- Differentiate between recuperation and circadian theories of sleep.
- Analyze the effects of sleep deprivation and long-term sleep reduction.
Addictions and Emotions
- Discuss the principles of drug addiction.
- Categorize health effects of commonly abused drugs.
- Describe the theories and brain mechanisms of emotion.
The Split Brain & Psychiatric Disorders
- Describe four methods of studying cerebral lateralization.
- Distinguish between functions of the left and right hemispheres of the brain.
- Describe various psychiatric disorders and diseases.
- Associate appropriate drug remedies for psychiatric disorders and diseases.
- Describe the biological functions/dysfunctions and drug therapies associated with schizophrenia.
- Apply biopsychology principles to different psychological disorders.
Hormones and Sex
- Summarize perspectives on sexual orientation and identity.
- Describe the neuroendocrine system's involvement in sexual development.
- Relate hormones to sexual development and behavior.
Introduction to Biopsychology
- Describe biopsychology and its theoretical framework.
- Explain the effects of behavior on evolution.
- Explain the concepts behind the nature versus nurture issue.
The Brain and Nervous System
- Identify the structures of the nervous system and brain.
- Summarize the biological functions of the brain.
- Discuss the basic structures and functions of neurons and synapses in the brain.
- Describe the conduction of action potentials and activation of neurotransmitters.
- Describe methods for studying the brain.
Hunger, Eating, and Health
- Describe common factors that influence what, when, and how much we eat.
- Differentiate between set points and settling points in weight control.
- Relate physiological factors to hunger and satiety.
- Hypothesize main causal factors of obesity and anorexia.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.