Elements Of Health And Wellness – sci163 (3 credits)
This course reinforces the concept that learning effectively and living well involves both the mind and body. It presents the fundamentals of wellness and preventive health including strategic planning to attain and maintain personal optimal health. In addition, physical and mental diseases are discussed along with the dangers of environmental pollution, stress, addiction, and other negative factors that can affect personal health.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Preventing and Treating Chronic Diseases
- Identify reliable community and web resources for individuals with chronic diseases.
- Describe risk factors for common chronic diseases.
Infectious Diseases and Environmental Effects on Health
- Explain the immune system’s role in protecting the body from disease.
- Identify pathogens that cause infectious diseases.
- Explain ways the environment affects human health and wellness.
Nutrition and Health Management
- Explain environmental, economic, and psychosocial effects of eating behaviors.
- Explain methods to determine the nutritional values of food.
- Define essential nutrients.
Healthy Living Choices
- Discuss guidelines for making wise health care decisions.
- Identify complementary and alternative health care options.
Healthy Balance of Mind and Body
- Define health and wellness.
- Identify resources that support psychosocial health.
The Rewards of Physical Fitness
- Identify the five components of health related fitness.
- Explain the health benefits of regular physical activity.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.