Survey Of Alternative Medicine – sci201 (1 credit)
This course examines the traditions and recent developments within the field of alternative medicine, and includes a comparison of Western and Eastern diagnostic systems. Through a highly interactive and experiential format, participants will overview a comprehensive range of physical, psychological, and energy therapies resulting in insight, awareness, and appreciation for diverse approaches to medicine.
Complementary and Alternative Medical Systems
- Define complementary medicine, alternative medicine, and integrative medicine.
- Describe the five domains of therapies.
- Differentiate between the major alternative medical systems.
- Compare major alternative medical systems to allopathic medical care.
- Describe the role of scientific study in CAM.
Consumer and Regulatory Issues in CAM Treatment Modalities
- Describe the philosophy and treatment principles of complementary healing therapies.
- Describe how an individual’s opinions regarding CAM can affect choice in health care.
- Determine criteria for identifying credible resources regarding CAM issues.
- Identify negative effects associated with use of CAM.
- Analyze the government’s role in the regulation of CAM.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.