spe559 | Graduate
Characteristics Of Learning Disabilities
topic title goes here
Instructional Content and Practice
- Analyze strategies for instructing students with learning disabilities in reading and written expression.
- Examine strategies for instructing students with learning disabilities in mathematics.
Assessment, Diagnosis, and Evaluation
- Compare various types of assessment instruments.
- Analyze the role of assessment in determining eligibility.
- Analyze the relationships between assessment results and the development of an Individualized Educational Program (IEP).
- Examine the processes of pre-referral, referral, and multidisciplinary evaluation.
- Analyze the various delivery services available to students with learning disabilities.
- Examine the benefits and drawbacks of implementing a collaborative consultation model.
- Examine various types of transition plans for older students.
Planning and Managing the Teaching and Learning Environment
- Identify methods to improve the instructional interaction between the teacher and the student with learning disabilities.
- Analyze some common methods for modifying assignments for students with learning disabilities.
- Identify considerations to take into account when planning for students with learning disabilities in regular classroom settings.
- Examine some common methods for modifying tests for students with learning disabilities.
Managing Student Behavior
- Examine various methods for addressing behavioral issues common to students with learning disabilities.
Future Issues in Learning Disabilities
- Examine the role of technology in the education of students with learning disabilities.
- Examine issues and challenges for adults with learning disabilities.
- Analyze future issues related to teacher preparation and professional development in the field of learning disabilities.
Philosophical, Historical, and Legal Perspectives on Special Education of Students with Learning Disabilities
- Analyze the federal definition of “specific learning disabilities,” as well as some common components of various definitions of learning disabilities.
- Identify the phases in the history of learning disabilities.
- Analyze state and federal special education regulation procedures for identification, referrals, comprehensive evaluations, multidisciplinary conferences, Individualized Educational Programs (IEPs), placements, and review of placements.
Etiology and Prevalence
- Identify different medically related issues in the field of learning disabilities.
- Examine the prevalence of learning disabilities among children and young adults.
- Compare and contrast medical and educational models of learning disabilities.
Basic Terminology and Acronyms
- Define basic terminology associated with the study of learning disabilities.
Characteristics of Learners
- Examine cognition and language characteristics of students with learning disabilities.
- Examine personality and social characteristics of students with learning disabilities.
- Examine learning characteristics of students with learning disabilities.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.