sped506 | Graduate
Guidance And Counseling Of Gifted And Talented Learners
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Examine the challenges, biases, validity, and reliability of giftedness assessment methods.
- Describe the roles of advocacy, defensibility, equity, pluralism, and comprehensiveness in identification methods of giftedness.
- Identify observation areas of high performance that may indicate giftedness.
- Compare formal, informal, and nomination methods for identifying intelligence, achievement, creativity, and giftedness.
Guidance and Counseling for Gifted and Talented Learners
- Evaluate counseling methods to reverse patterns of underachievement among gifted and talented learners.
- Identify guidance and counseling interventions for exceptional students and gifted and talented learners with disabilities.
- Analyze developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and gender sensitive counseling practices for gifted and talented learners.
- Describe guidance programs and group activities for all students, including those who are gifted and talented.
Advocacy and Support
- Describe advocacy and support strategies for families of gifted and talented learners.
- Compare curriculum models and grouping options that support the creativity and achievement of gifted and talented learners.
- Identify diverse resources that offer developmentally appropriate, culturally responsive, and gender sensitive advocacy and support for gifted and talented learners.
- Identify responsive services to counsel gifted and talented learners individually and in small groups.
- Explore methods for building understanding of and support for gifted and talented learners among teachers and administrators.
Social, Emotional, Academic, and Career Development
- Identify guidance and counseling strategies to develop gifted and talented learnersâ social and emotional wellness.
- Compare traditional academic counseling to academic counseling for gifted and talented learners.
- Examine components of program planning that support ongoing success of gifted and talented learners.
- Analyze special elements of career counseling for gifted and talented learners.
- All course objectives apply.
- Summarize the history, myths, and realities of giftedness.
- Examine research and theories of intelligence and giftedness.
- Analyze research and theories of creativity and giftedness.
- Describe social and emotional characteristics of gifted and talented learners.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.