tesol564 | Graduate
Instructional Techniques And Methods
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Family and Community Involvement
- Develop an effective parental involvement program.
- Analyze how culture influences parental involvement.
- Identify ways to involve culturally diverse families.
- Define key components of effective parental involvement programs.
- All objectives apply.
Foundations of Effective Instruction for English Language Learners
- Identify the challenges of teaching culturally diverse English language learners.
- Compare first and second language acquisition.
- Apply brain-based learning principles for effective English language learners’ instruction.
- Identify the instructional relationship between basic interpersonal communication skills and cognitive academic language proficiency skills.
- Describe the key components of sheltered instruction for English language learners and the sheltered instruction observation protocol model.
Assessing English Language Learners
- Explain how to provide effective feedback to English language learners.
- Describe the relationship between literacy development and assessment.
- Describe activities that review vocabulary and content.
- Analyze types of assessment for English language learners.
- Describe authentic and performance-based assessment for English language learners.
Planning and Delivering Effective Instruction for English Language Learners
- Describe the key principles of standards-based curriculum and instruction for English language learners.
- Identify the differences between content and language objectives.
- Explain how to ensure that content and activities are age appropriate and meaningful.
- Describe methods and materials to differentiate instruction.
- Explain how to evaluate lesson delivery.
Ensuring Lesson Comprehension of English Language Learners
- Connect prior learning experiences to new learning.
- Describe how to build background knowledge.
- Describe techniques to ensure that students understand lesson content.
- Identify techniques for including vocabulary development instruction.
- Determine techniques to support discussion and interaction during instruction.
- Describe how to provide hands-on practice for English language learners.
Workshop Five: Special Education and English Language Learners
- Suggest intervention techniques for struggling students.
- Determine when special education referrals of English language learners are appropriate.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.