The Manufacturing Institute and University of Phoenix Announce Winners of 2013 Scholarship Program
Ten full-tuition scholarships focus on educating the manufacturing workforce
PHOENIX, Sept. 23, 2013— For the third consecutive year, University of Phoenix, a subsidiary of Apollo Education Group (NASDAQ: APOL), is pleased to partner with The Manufacturing Institute, a non-profit, non-partisan education and research affiliate of the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), to offer the Manufacturing Institute Scholarship program.
The Manufacturing Institute and University of Phoenix have awarded ten scholarships to current or transitioning employees in the manufacturing industry and students completing community college or industry-recognized credentials in manufacturing.
This scholarship program facilitates efforts to close the nationwide skills gap within the manufacturing industry, giving employers an avenue to encourage their workforce to attain educational credentials that may help with career success. Each full-tuition scholarship allows a prospective student the opportunity to complete an undergraduate or master’s degree program at any University of Phoenix campus or online.
2013 University of Phoenix/Manufacturing Institute scholarship recipients include:
- Anthony Quinn, Illinois, Spare Parts Solutions Inc., bachelor’s degree in science management
- Beau Kush, Washington, Cosmo Specialty Fibers, master’s degree in business administration
- Christopher Davala, North Carolina, Okuma America Corporation, bachelor’s degree in information technology
- Janine Garber, Ohio, Allied Machine and Engineering Corp., master’s degree in business
- Lacey Bera, Wisconsin, Domtar Nekoosa Paper Mill, bachelor’s degree in environmental science
- Lisa Rivera, Florida, Steinwall Scientific, master’s degree in business administration
- Michelle Puch, Illinois, Primrose Candy Company, master’s degree in business administration
- Montez King, Pennsylvania, National Institute of Metal Working Skills, master’s degree in business administration
- Nicole Puch, Illinois, Primrose Candy Company, master’s degree in business administration
- Stacy Payne, Florida, Gibson Guitar Corporation, master’s degree in business administration
“The manufacturing industry is increasingly vital to the U.S. economy,” said Jennifer McNelly, president of The Manufacturing Institute. “At The Manufacturing Institute, we believe that skills and education opens the door to a successful career, and we are dedicated to providing educational and professional opportunities to the current and future manufacturing workforce”
“We are proud to award these scholarships for the third year in a row to help workers obtain qualifications that are critical to the manufacturing industry,” said Tim Welsh, senior vice president, Industry Strategy Group at University of Phoenix. “In collaboration with The Manufacturing Institute, University of Phoenix will continue to develop educational programs that meet industry-endorsed standards, and help our graduates to advance in their careers.”
University of Phoenix and the Manufacturing Institute Scholarship demonstrates our corporate social responsibility to provide access to education opportunities. To learn more about the Manufacturing Institute Scholarship program, please visit www.phoenix.edu/MIscholar.
To learn more about University of Phoenix’s efforts to better equip the American workforce through innovative partnerships, learning tools, and program offerings, visit www.apollo.edu/workforce.
About The Manufacturing Institute
The Manufacturing Institute is the 501(c)3 affiliate of the National Association of Manufacturers. As a non-partisan organization, the Institute is committed to delivering leading-edge information and services to the nation's manufacturers. The Institute is the authority on the attraction, qualification, and development of world- class manufacturing talent. Visit www.themanufacturinginstitute.org
ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX
University of Phoenix is constantly innovating to help working adults move efficiently from education to careers in a rapidly changing world. Flexible schedules, relevant and engaging courses, and interactive learning can help students more effectively pursue career and personal aspirations while balancing their busy lives. As a subsidiary of Apollo Education Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: APOL), University of Phoenix serves a diverse student population, offering associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs from campuses and learning centers across the U.S. as well as online throughout the world. For more information, visit www.phoenix.edu.
Media Contact: Ryan Rauzon
University of Phoenix
- Media Contact: AJ Jorgenson
The Manufacturing Institute
# # #