Application Process

All requests for accommodations follow a standard process managed through the Disability Services Office.  

How to Apply for Accommodations

Student rights and responsibilities

Read, sign and return the Student Rights and Responsibilities form to the Disability Services Office to acknowledge a clear understanding of your rights and responsibilities under the University’s accommodations process.

Student self-disclosure

Complete, sign and return the Student Self-Disclosure form to the Disability Services Advisor disclosing a formal request for accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Student release of information

The Student Release of Information form advises the Disability Services Office of the diagnosing professional who will be providing the medical documentation or filling out the Student Disability Information/Verification form, and allows us to contact that individual. Please fill out this information, if necessary, and return it with your application paperwork.

Student disability information/verification

The Student Disability Information/Verification form should be completed by your diagnosing professional — i.e., physician, psychologist or psychiatrist. The diagnosing professional will need to complete the form in its entirety; otherwise, additional information may be needed.

Note: A diagnosis, classroom limitations and specific recommendations for accommodations by a doctor or other legally acceptable health care professional as defined by the ADA are usually required. Please make sure to leave the doctor’s, psychiatrist’s, psychologist’s or other appropriate health care professional’s office with paperwork, letters, forms and testing information filled out correctly. It is your responsibility to ensure proper documentation.

Return completed paperwork

Return completed paperwork to a Disability Services Advisor as soon as possible.

Application review

The Disability Services Office will review your application to verify your eligibility for disability services and determine whether the requested accommodations or any other accommodations might be reasonable.

Student accommodation agreement

Once the paperwork is reviewed, a Disability Services Advisor will contact you to discuss any reasonable accommodations that might be available to you. After you and the advisor reach an agreement regarding the accommodations to be provided, the Student Accommodation Agreement will be sent to you. Any agreed-upon accommodations will be documented in the Student Accommodation Agreement for you to sign and return to your Disability Services Advisor.

Making accommodations

Accommodations will be made available once a Disability Services Advisor has received the signed Student Accommodation Agreement. Accommodations are not typically retroactive.

Requesting a copy of your accommodations file

Once the accommodations application process is completed, your entire accommodations file will be housed in the Disability Services Office. You can request to view the file by completing the Student Release of ADA File Information form.

Get started here

or call us at866.766.0766

Transition to College

(PDF) Transitioning from High School to College PDF

We've compiled some helpful advice to assist you with the transition from high school to college through the Disability Services Office.