University of Phoenix First Chance Scholarship Program
The First Chance® Scholarship Program was created in 2006 to promote the life-changing benefits of education and honor individuals who have shown desire to improve their lives and the lives of those around them through education. The annual program will empower 200 individuals to complete a bachelor’s or master’s degree through full-tuition scholarships to University of Phoenix. The University has partnered with non-profit organizations across the nation to help locate potential students that may not have an opportunity to attend college without the aid of a scholarship like First Chance®.
The University of Phoenix is pleased to partner with the National Foster Parent Association (NFPA) to offer a First Chance® Scholarship Program. NFPA was established in 1972 as a non-profit, volunteer organization. Its mission is to support the needs of foster families as they provide a safe environment for those in foster care.
University of Phoenix understands the importance of making higher education highly accessible for students of all ages and backgrounds. As the largest private university in North America, we take very seriously our social responsibility to our students and the communities we serve. University of Phoenix is particularly adept at aiding non-traditional students complete their education by designing programs around their busy lives.
Through this scholarship program, fifty (50) full-tuition scholarships will be awarded in 2010. Each scholarship will allow former foster youth and foster parents, who are affiliated with NFPA, the opportunity to complete an undergraduate or master’s degree program at University of Phoenix. The fifty (50) scholarships will be awarded throughout the year. Recipients may choose to attend a University of Phoenix on-ground campus or may attend University of Phoenix online. No more than twenty-five (25) of the scholarships will be awarded to foster parents.
The application period is now closed for the First Chance® National Foster Parents Association Scholarship. The 2011 application will be available in the spring of 2011.
Candidates for the scholarship must demonstrate the following to be considered:
- Applicants who reside in the United States must meet one of the following requirements: be a legal resident of the United States; have been granted permanent residency; have a valid visa that does not prohibit educational studies; have been granted temporary protected status along with approved Notice of Action issued by Citizen Immigration Services and verified through CIS Form g-845; or have been granted asylum along with the approved Notice of Action issued by the Citizen Immigration Services.
- Applicants must be one of the following:
- A former foster youth who has aged out of foster care and is between the age of 18 and 25; OR
- A foster parent who is either currently fostering a child or has fostered a child within the past two years; is and will remain licensed by the foster care system in their state; and will continue to foster children throughout the duration of the degree program.
- Applicants must be a regular member of the NFPA.
- If applicant is not currently enrolled as a student or if applicant is a currently enrolled student, he/she is not receiving a total of 100% tuition reimbursement from any source(s), except for financial aid.
- Applicants must not be currently enrolled nor in the process of enrolling at any University of Phoenix campus or in any online program at any time prior to the scholarship award date. Applicants who enroll after submitting an application or before the scholarship award date are not eligible to be a recipient of this scholarship.
- Applicants must meet all admissions requirements of the University of Phoenix.
- Applicant is not an employee or family member of an employee of Apollo Education Group, Inc., University of Phoenix, Western International University or any other subsidiary of Apollo Education Group, Inc.
- Submit a complete, signed application, together with all supporting documentation by the deadline date listed under the Selection Process section. The completion of the application form does not create an obligation to award a scholarship to applicant.
- Submit a completed essay. High importance will be placed on the applicant’s desire to advance in their education, with an emphasis on furthering their careers, and their impact in the community in which they reside.
- Provide two (2) letters of recommendation.
- This scholarship opportunity is in partnership with National Foster Parent Association (NFPA), a non-profit organization and the scholarship process is managed by a staff member at NFPA. The process includes but not limited to application creation, application submission, forming selection committee and finalizing recipient list. Non-staff members may assist in the selection committee process. The application and any additional information submitted by applicant will be subject to the NFPA privacy and confidentiality policies, if any.
- The recipient of this scholarship will be selected by the Scholarship Committee consisting of representatives from University of Phoenix and NFPA.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit a complete and signed application and all the supporting documentation in one package which must be received on or before the deadline date as set forth below. The Scholarship Committee accepts no responsibility for incomplete applications, applications not in proper form, lost applications, or any other submission in exception to the above instructions.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final and not subject to a review process.
- Scholarship selection shall be made without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
- The scholarship award will be based on the Committee’s scores of the overall quality of the application and the scholarship essay(s). The higher the average score, the higher the probability of selection.
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX: TERMS & CONDITIONS
By applying for a University of Phoenix scholarship and/or accepting the scholarship award, the applicant and/or recipient agrees to the following terms and conditions. Failure to abide by any of the following terms and conditions shall result in either disqualification of the scholarship award or termination of the scholarship award.
- All application submissions shall become the property of Apollo Education Group, Inc. as the parent company of the University of Phoenix regardless if applicant is awarded the scholarship. In addition, applicant agrees to execute an Apollo Education Group, Inc. Consent and Release Form. Upon the award of the scholarship and applicant’s acceptance, Apollo Education Group, Inc. and/or University of Phoenix shall have the right to use and republish the submitted application or any of its content; it may reference and acknowledge applicant’s/recipient’s name and authorship of the application; and may use recipient’s name, image and likeness, for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, any promotional materials.
- Scholarship award is a non-cash credit to recipient’s University of Phoenix account in the amount stated by the scholarship. No check or other cash monies will be disbursed at any time. No exceptions.
- Scholarship will be applied to tuition and fees only, as specified on the scholarship application; education supplies and living expenses are not included.
- Whether applicant/recipient is or is not currently an enrolled student, he/she is not receiving a total of 100% tuition reimbursement from any source(s) including but not limited to: corporate reimbursement, other scholarships and/or private grants with the exception of Veteran’s Administration GI benefits or Veteran’s Administration Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits and Title IV financial aid funding.
- Applicant/recipient must meet all University of Phoenix admissions requirements for selected program and campus. Information regarding admissions is available in the University of Phoenix Academic Catalog. Scholarship may only be used toward degrees that are specified on the scholarship application; Doctoral degrees are not covered by the scholarship. No exceptions.
- Recipient must complete all admission and enrollment requirements for his/her chosen degree program (degree program must be currently available) at University of Phoenix no later than thirty (30) days following the scholarship award date, unless otherwise approved in writing by the University of Phoenix Center for Scholarship Excellence officials in their sole discretion. Unless specifically stated in the application otherwise. Applicants who enroll during the scholarship process or before the award date are not eligible for the scholarship, and any such enrollment in violation of these scholarship terms and conditions will result in the termination of the scholarship award.
- Recipient must be scheduled for his/her first class no later than sixty (60) days following the scholarship award date, unless otherwise approved in writing by the University of Phoenix Center for Scholarship Excellence officials in their sole discretion.
- Recipient must have successfully completed his/her first class within one hundred eighty (180) days following the scholarship award date unless otherwise approved in writing by the University of Phoenix Center for Scholarship Excellence officials in their sole discretion.
- If recipient is receiving Title IV financial aid funding in addition to this scholarship, applicant must stay in attendance as a full time student with no more than a twenty-nine (29) day break and/or must qualify for a leave of absence in order to maintain his/her financial aid status. Recipient is required to abide by all state and federal financial aid policies and procedures and all University of Phoenix financial policies and procedures as set forth in the University of Phoenix Academic catalog, including remaining in good financial standing with the University of Phoenix.
- Recipient who falls out of attendance for more than 365 days (1 year) will forfeit his/her scholarship which shall be immediately terminated.
- Recipient must maintain the minimum grade point average for the selected degree program, make satisfactory progress towards completing selected degree program (satisfactory progress is measured as successfully completing a minimum of 16 credits during each 24 attempted credits), and complete the selected degree program within the maximum time frame allowed according to federal regulations (The maximum time frame allowed is based on the required number of credits for graduation from the degree program, less any transfer or assessed credits, times 150%).
- Recipient may only fall into academic probation once and must raise his/her academic status within four (4) consecutive classes. Recipients who fall into academic probation two times and/or academic disqualification will be in violation of these scholarship terms and conditions.
- Recipient agrees to complete his/her degree program in the time set forth in the University Of Phoenix Academic Catalog. Switching degree programs may result in a loss of credits which this scholarship will not cover. If recipient changes degree programs, which results in a loss of credits, the scholarship will cover up to six (6) credits that do not transfer to the new degree program. No exceptions will be provided by the University of Phoenix.
- Should recipient drop, receive a W grade or otherwise fail to complete a course for which the scholarship or a portion of the scholarship has been used to pay the tuition, any refund due shall be only applied to recipient’s University of Phoenix account as a non-cash credit. In no event will any cash refund be given at any time. No exceptions. Recipients are permitted only two (2) dropped courses or W grades per eight (8) consecutively successfully completed courses. If the recipient exceeds the drop course limit, recipient agrees that he/she will be financially responsible for the tuition fees and costs for the current dropped course in accordance with University of Phoenix policies as set forth in the University of Phoenix Academic Catalog. Recipient acknowledges that said scholarship award shall not pay tuition and fees for excess dropped courses. Recipient agrees that he/she will have to pay any outstanding tuition balance within seventy-five (75) days max and must pay prior to enrolling in any future courses in order to continue with this scholarship award.
- Scholarship award will only be applied to one re-take course. A “re-take” of a course means scholarship recipient has completed the course to a point of earning a letter grade of A–F and has been scheduled to repeat the same course. If recipient wishes to re-take an additional course(s), recipient must pay the entire tuition and fee costs of the course in accordance with University of Phoenix’s financial policies as set forth in the University of Phoenix Academic Catalog. No scholarship award will be given on a re-taken course in excess award of one (1).
- Recipient will relinquish all unused portions of scholarship award should recipient fail to meet any of the above terms and conditions for any reason. Determinations of failure to meet the stated terms will be made by the University of Phoenix Center for Scholarship Excellence officials in their sole discretion. Any unused portion of the Scholarship will be returned to the University of Phoenix and is non-transferable. This scholarship does not apply towards doctoral degree programs.
- These terms and conditions are in addition to any other terms and conditions set forth in any other part of this document. Any necessary determination or clarification as to the interpretation or to the application of a particular term shall be made by the University of Phoenix Center for Scholarship Excellence officials in their sole discretion. Furthermore, the University of Phoenix reserves the right in its sole discretion to make any changes or modifications to the scholarship, including but not limited to, the criteria, the selection process, the deadline dates, and the terms and conditions.
- Failure to comply with the terms and conditions of the scholarship will result in disqualification for the scholarship and/or termination of the scholarship award.
- In the event that any provision of the terms and conditions of this scholarship shall be held void, voidable, or unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
- APPLICANT/RECIPIENT HEREBY AGREES TO RELEASE THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX, Apollo Education Group, INC. AND ITS AFFILIATES, AS WELL AS EACH OF THEIR OFFICER, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, SHAREHOLDERS, SERVANTS, DIRECTORS (“THE RELEASED PARTIES”), FROM DAMAGES, LOSSES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF EARNINGS, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF WAGES), COSTS, EXPENSES AND LIABILITIES OF EVERY KIND AND NATURE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INCLUDING CLAIMS OF DAMAGES OR INJURY TO PERSONAL PROPERTY AND FURTHER AGREE TO RELEASE THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY THIRD PARTY CLAIMS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WHETHER KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, AND WHETHER OR NOT CONCEALED OR HIDDEN, WHICH I MAY NOW HAVE OR MAY HEREINAFTER HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASED PARTIES RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION PROCESS BY THE AARP FOUNDATION.
- APPLICANT/RECIPIENT HEREBY AGREES TO RELEASE THE AARP FOUNDATION AND ITS AFFILIATES, AS WELL AS EACH OF THEIR OFFICER, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, SHAREHOLDERS, SERVANTS, DIRECTORS (“THE RELEASED PARTIES”) , FROM DAMAGES, LOSSES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF EARNINGS, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF WAGES), COSTS, EXPENSES AND LIABILITIES OF EVERY KIND AND NATURE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, INCLUDING CLAIMS OF DAMAGES OR INJURY TO PERSONAL PROPERTY AND FURTHER AGREE TO RELEASE THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY THIRD PARTY CLAIMS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WHETHER KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, AND WHETHER OR NOT CONCEALED OR HIDDEN, WHICH I MAY NOW HAVE OR MAY HEREINAFTER HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASED PARTIES RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE SCHOLARSHIP ADMINISTRATION BY THE UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX.
APOLLO CONSENT AND RELEASE FORM
- For valuable consideration, the sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I hereby grant to Apollo Education Group, Inc., its subsidiaries, agents, and others working for it on its behalf or at its direction and their respective licensees, successors, and assigns (herein collectively called the “Licensed Parties”) the absolute right and permission to use, record, publish, broadcast, and copyright, in whole or in part, in all countries in the world, my voice, biographical information, endorsement/testimonial, picture and likeness, or any material based upon or derived there from, or to refrain from so doing, in any manner or media whatsoever, without geographical or other limitation, for any educational, advertising or promotional purpose.
- I further agree that any such use, recording, publication, or broadcast of my voice, endorsement/testimonial, picture or likeness of me, and any material based upon or derived there from, in any manner or media, is owned by Licensed Parties. If I should receive any print, negative, or other copy, I shall not authorize its use by anyone else.
- I represent and warrant that I own all intellectual property rights (including but not limited to copyright and trademark rights) in any picture(s) or material(s) that I submit to the Licensed Parties and that no other third party releases are necessary. In the event I submit a picture(s) or other material(s) owned by a third party to the Licensed Parties, I shall provide all necessary third-party releases to the Licensed Parties. Said third-party releases shall grant to the Licensed Parties all rights set forth in this agreement. The Licensed Parties shall have the right in its sole discretion to deny any publication of said picture or materials. Furthermore, I acknowledge that any picture or materials submitted are not guaranteed for use by the Licensed Parties.
- I shall have no right of approval, no claim to additional compensation, and no claim (including without limitation, claims based upon invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, alteration, distortion, or illusionary effect, or use in any composite form.
- I agree that this release does not in any way conflict with any existing commitment on my part. I have not heretofore authorized (which authority is still in effect), nor will I authorize or permit without the Licensed Parties express written permission the use of my voice, biographical information, endorsement/testimonial, picture, or likeness in connection with the advertising or promotion of any other educational service if such authorization or permission is in conflict or inconsistent with the terms of this Consent and Release Form.
- If I have given any endorsement/testimonial, it represents my current honest opinions, findings, or experience. To the extent that I suggest I have used the educational services of a particular entity, I have in fact so used them. To the extent that I suggest I express a preference over other similar educational services, I do in fact prefer them. I agree to immediately notify you of any change in my expressed views or preferences, or if I cease to be able to endorse.
- I agree to defend and hold the Licensed Parties harmless from and against any and all claims, demands, suits, losses, liabilities, judgments, costs, expenses (including without limitation court costs, litigation expenses, and reasonable attorneys’ fees), and causes of action of any kind against the Licensed Parties as a result of any material breach of any representation made herein in this Consent and Release Form and/or resulting from any intellectual property violation including but not limited to any copyright infringement or alleged copyright infringement regarding pictures and materials that I have provided to the Licensed Parties.
- This Consent and Release Form may be executed by facsimile. Said facsimile shall be deemed an original and shall be enforceable and fully admissible is any legal proceeding.