Your school closed. What should you do?

Information for students affected by the closure of their university or college.

We’re sorry for any difficulty and inconvenience you may face due to the closure of your institution of higher education. It’s important that you’re aware of protections that are available to you.

Below are the top 3 things to consider:

#1 You’re not alone. Seek information from the appropriate agency.

All Students:

You may be eligible to have some or all of your federal student loans discharged. The U.S. Department of Education is the entity responsible for making decisions about loan discharges.  You should contact them with any questions about your federal student loans before you transfer to another school. Please visit the Federal Student Aid site for a detailed FAQ on Federal Student Loan Discharge.

The U.S. Department of Education also recommends you contact your loan servicer about the application process for getting your loan discharged. You can find out which loan servicer is handling your account by calling 1.800.4.FED.AID.

Veteran Students:

The impact of school closures is critical to veteran students receiving G.I. Bill benefits, including housing and living stipends. Your individual circumstances require special care to ensure informed decisions are made concerning your options. In addition to the U.S. Department of Education resources, we strongly recommend that veteran students reach out to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the State Approving Agency where they reside. For more information, please visit You also can call the V.A’s Education Benefits Assistance Service at 888.442.4551.

#2 You’ve got options. Know them BEFORE enrolling in another institution.

It’s important to determine your loan discharge eligibility BEFORE enrolling in another program.  Once you begin another program of study, you may lose your right to loan discharge.

If you’re considering enrolling at University of Phoenix, please know:

  • We may accept your transfer credits, but not all credits will necessarily apply to the specific degree program requirements you’re interested in discussing.
  • Prior to enrolling, you’ll be asked to sign a form acknowledging that you have had an opportunity to consult with the U.S. Department of Education and/or your loan servicer and understand your rights and options for closed-school loan discharges. You can access that acknowledgement form here.

#3 You’ve got time. There’s no pressure!

Don’t listen to a college that pressures you to act fast. You need to take the time to fully understand how the closure of your school will impact your loans, your transfer credits and your goals. Make an informed decision about your future.