aed200 | undergraduate
Contemporary Issues In American Education
This undergraduate-level course is 9 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Challenges and Opportunities in Teaching
- Outline state requirements for teacher certification and licensure.
- Identify challenges and opportunities in teaching and how to overcome them.
- Describe the value of diversity in the classroom.
Societal Issues in Education
- Recognize social challenges students may face outside the classroom.
- Identify the role of schools in society.
- Describe elements that promote a multicultural learning environment.
- Describe strategies for ensuring social justice in the classroom.
Organization of Education
- Discuss the school choice options available to parents.
- Identify the influence of district, state, and federal government decisions at the local school level.
- Describe the various funding issues for school districts.
Legal Issues in Education
- Discuss issues with regard to separation of church and state in education.
- Compare student rights to teacher responsibilities of maintaining a learning environment.
Philosophical Foundations of Education
- Contrast Eastern, Western, and Native North American ways of knowing.
- Compare teacher- and student-centered instruction.
- Compare behaviorist with constructivist learning theories.
Personal Philosophy of Education
- Relate a personal philosophy of education to classroom management.
- Develop a plan to create an effective classroom environment.
- Identify decision makers in curriculum development.
- Summarize the educational implications of No Child Left Behind.
- Discuss both positive and negative affects of teacher accountability in the classroom.
Curriculum Issues and Education
- Assess strategies that accommodate the needs of English language learners.
- Discuss the integration of technology in curriculum and instruction.
Current Debates in Education
- Debate a current issue in American education.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.