ajs502 | Graduate
Survey Of Justice And Security
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Cultural and Demographic Considerations on Justice and Security
- Identify predominant cultural influences on the administration of justice and security.
- Differentiate the cultural impacts related to gender, age, religion, and cultural backgrounds.
- Explain contemporary concerns regarding the application of justice related to aspects of culture.
- Explain the relationship between Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Act, and nondiscrimination practices in relation to criminal justice systems and minority populations.
Trends in Justice and Security
- Detail predicted future aspects and elements of policing, court operations, and correctional practices.
- Summarize expected changes in the future for personnel in policing, the courts, corrections, and security.
- Compare and contrast the roles of personnel in policing, the courts, corrections, and security now and as they will evolve in the future.
- Examine the changing roles of private security, or privatization, in relation to all aspects of the criminal justice system.
- Give examples of essential security policies.
- Describe the role of a chief security officer.
- Define the elements of a comprehensive security program.
- Explain the relationship between the public elements of the criminal justice system and private security personnel.
- Identify key elements in protecting personnel, property, and information from a security standpoint.
Policing and Security
- Identify critical management factors in effective policing.
- Illustrate essential components of contemporary policing.
- Examine administrative and operational issues of policing in relationship to functions of patrol, crime investigation, and emergency response.
- Theorize “police futures” that extrapolate from current policing practices to logical possible practice developments in 2020 and 2030.
Criminal Courts and the Judicial Process
- Describe the various elements of the criminal court system, including state and federal courts.
- Identify components of the court system relative to prosecution, defense, judicial authority, trial, conviction, sentencing, plea bargaining, and victims.
- Examine issues of judicial interpretation and administrative rules of court within the context of the criminal justice process.
- Evaluate the impact of the technological revolution on court proceedings.
Institutional and Community Corrections
- Describe the various elements of the institutional correctional system.
- Identify major functional elements of the prison system.
- Discuss punishment versus rehabilitation in the correctional system.
- Identify the major aspects of community corrections related to supervision, rehabilitation, and assistance to offenders, offenders’ families, and victims.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.