ajs542 | Graduate
This graduate-level course is 6 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
The Importance of Theory in Criminology
- Create a personal criminological theory that synthesizes existing theories.
- Summarize criminological research in theory development.
Methods and Paradigms in Criminological Theory
- Compare various methods used to collect and disseminate crime data.
- Assess the usefulness and limitations of crime data and the relationship of such data to theory formation in criminology.
Classical and Positive Theories
- Explain the philosophical basis of classical and neoclassical thought in criminology.
- Evaluate major principles of the classical school of criminological thought.
- Analyze the relationship between personality and criminal behavior.
- Evaluate the contributions of biological, sociobiological, and psychological explanations of criminal behavior.
Social-Psychological and Sociological Theories I
- Evaluate the major principles of sociological-based schools of criminological thought.
- Identify social factors that contribute to crime and criminal behavior.
- Explain the effect of imitations and interactions with others in learning behavior.
- Analyze the role of socioeconomic status and values in criminological theory.
Social-Psychological and Sociological Theories II
- Evaluate conflict as it relates to social control.
- Analyze gender-based theories as they relate to current crime trends.
- Evaluate the effect of positive and negative reinforcement on crime.
Genesis of the Field of Victimology
- Evaluate victimogenesis and other concepts in victimology, including victim responsibility.
- Analyze the restorative justice model and its relationship to victimology.
- Evaluate contemporary research instruments used to measure criminal victimization.
Social Policy and Crime Prevention
- Evaluate the effect that criminological theory and research have had on contemporary and historical crime-control policies in the United States.
- Synthesize criminological theories to develop policy for assisting victims, preventing crime, and achieving effective justice.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.